Skip to main content

Bruised ambitions

My week took a surprising turn for the worst, one which I had no ability to predict.

Let's start at the beginning, I've been doing new things lately, things if you had caught me a few years ago and asked me 'Hey Repa would you consider this and this?' I probably would have said no.

But new positivity, new challenges, new me! I got a PT back in May and I never thought I'd get a PT, one because they are pretty pricey and two I thought it was only for complete beginners to gym, both of which are untrue. All PTs have their own prices and I had been going to gym for about 6 months before I got a PT.

Some of the reasons I wanted a PT was, I had never tried it, I wanted to be pushed and I wanted help with my goals. Another new thing I tried was a gymnastics class, I had seen those fancy gymnasts on TV for the Olympics and I thought hey that's pretty cool! So I just wanted to try it out and that I did. I ended up with an ankle injury mainly because the class was an open class and not specifically for beginners BIG NO NO they didn't teach the technique or form so I just copied how they did it with no real thought. And can you believe I got this injury days before my seven sisters hike! Luckily it healed and I got to go!

Anyway until I can find a women's only gymnastics for beginners class I think I'll just do yoga at home. Two weeks ago I did a bouldering course, which was absolutely frigging great! I learned so much and it was super fun testing my strength and challenging my fears! Bouldering is rock climbing without a rope so there's that fear of falling and that adrenaline to push further and higher!

I really enjoyed it and I'd recommend mile end climbing wall as they are specifically for beginners after that gymnastics injury I always look for beginners classes. You'd think that would prevent injuries RIGHT, WRONG!

I went to a Muay Thai class last week, Muay Thai is a martial arts that involves the arms and legs, so you do punching as well as kicking. I had never tried Muay Thai I just knew it was an aggressive sport.

The actual class itself was good and I really enjoyed it, but I have to say I was not prepared for the actual contact of my partner's shin against my thigh, the instructor told us it was to toughen our skin which I completely understand and by the end of the class I felt so much more confident (and bruised). I didn't realise how bruised I was until I got home and I had a bruise the size of a ball on my leg, as we repeatedly kicked each other (me and my partner) and my partner MashaAllah was very strong so I felt every kick.

I sit here on my sofa with a bruised leg, I haven't been out because my leg has been bruised to the point where I have a slight limp, which has undoubtedly ruined my gym, driving etc. Plans for the week. I can tell you I have been bored out of mind just resting at home.

Anyway I don't think I'll be returning to Muay Thai just because I can't afford another limp leg, I will find another sport to partake in. At the end of the month I will be doing rock climbing with the harness InshaAllah, but it's a theory course so you actually learn how to belay and auto belay with the rope.

I feel like learning new things or even doing new activities is a great way to push yourself and to challenge yourself too! I think it's good to step outside your comfort zone, I was always so scared of doing a sport like Muay Thai but now I've done it I feel better, I do want to learn some sort of Martial Arts so there may still be hope!

Staying at home this whole week has made me realise how much I love to keep fit and to be productive, so I guess even though it wasn't productive I still learnt something! Now I think if, I, someone who is always anxious and loves being in my little comfort circle (though I constantly try to change this) can go out and do new things then I definitely think you can too! So think of something new to do and go out and do it! Learn something, eat something new, whatever it is just go and do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most important daily habit

 Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,  After a very long time I came across my blog once again and I decided I wanted to write something that I hope will benefit you inshaAllah.   I have found memorizing quran to be something I consistently struggle with mainly keeping a habit of it. Here are some tips I have found that helped me to make progress in my memorisation.   1. Think about the importance of the Quran, we know as muslims it is divine guidance so why would we not want to read and memorise it? The more we memorise the more we can use in our salah which should also help with our khushoo too inshaAllah.  This particularly helps if you are falling short of doing it daily, I know I have slacked and completely stopped memorizing for a while but when I really think about how important it is I make it a priority to do it.  2. Set a daily timer for it, build up to 30mins maybe start with 10mins the point is to be consistent as we know the consistent actions are the most beloved

Delay

Apologies for delay in posting, been having a struggle within myself. Will post an article soon or something else, please forgive me. 

Thank you

Yes I know. Do I ever talk about anything beside running? And yes I do but as a runner (if I can call myself that) I just find I like to talk about running aswell. Jheeze Louise someo ne shut her up ... Anyhow today when I went running I exchanged glances with a fellow runner and she had a huge smile on her face, I smiled back and in that moment we shared, we had an understanding: a connection of some sort. We knew it was tough, we knew we we had been working on this, but we weren't gonna give up and we smiled because we wanted to push each other we smiled because we knew the struggle we smiled because for God sake, we are both runners trying to run towards the light in our lives. ... And if that's a whole load of crap, we just smiled because we are good natured people. But I prefer the crap. So that's all folks, that's what I was happy about today, it was small but it made me wanna join local park runs, she made me feel more like a runner, it was just once smile. T