Skip to main content

In sickness and in health

So the other day I came across an app called Cast box if you have iPhone you probably already have podcasts which are essentially the same thing. There's so many channels you can subscribe to from poetry readings to health talks there's so much to explore.
I listened to a podcast from poetry off the shelf by the The Poetry Foundation the episode was titled from sickness into poetry and there was an author there her name was Meghan O'Rourke, she spoke of her poetry titled Sun in Days. The poems were about life and existence but she took quite an original angle, I personally have never heard of Meghan O'Rourke but this podcast has made very interested in her work, a few of the poems she read out were about the continuity of life and her feeling unlike herself when she fell sick; she was diagnosed with lyme disease but for a long time was undiagnosed and was unaware of its effects on her, (she has now been treated and currently is doing alot better) , she wrote a 22part prose like poetry piece in this in which she describes her unusual state and not understanding her change, some of her other poems in this book talk about grief and mourning for when her mother died and the last poem she read out was about the pregnancy with her son, it's such a beautiful poem and I love the way she described it.
The book she said was understanding the existence of life and although it has its hardships it is made up with the beauty of life (the birth of her son) I found this so refreshing and beautiful and I hope to purchase this book soon. Try listening to the podcast it's really good.
Unfortunately I can't find any of the poems I mentioned so you'll have to take my word for it.

This is the link https://castbox.fm/vb/53279835


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most important daily habit

 Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,  After a very long time I came across my blog once again and I decided I wanted to write something that I hope will benefit you inshaAllah.   I have found memorizing quran to be something I consistently struggle with mainly keeping a habit of it. Here are some tips I have found that helped me to make progress in my memorisation.   1. Think about the importance of the Quran, we know as muslims it is divine guidance so why would we not want to read and memorise it? The more we memorise the more we can use in our salah which should also help with our khushoo too inshaAllah.  This particularly helps if you are falling short of doing it daily, I know I have slacked and completely stopped memorizing for a while but when I really think about how important it is I make it a priority to do it.  2. Set a daily timer for it, build up to 30mins maybe start with 10mins the point is to be consistent as we know the ...

How to be spontaneous

Being spontaneous can sometimes making living life a bit more exciting, it leaves you on edge and makes you step outside your comfort zone. Some things that I have been trying to do is decide things in the moment, and not have plans, sometimes no plans are the best type of plans, because they leave so much room for possibility! Something else I try to do is try and do something I haven't done before, and inorder to go through with it I try to decide it on the day!  I like to try and learn new things, maybe trying things that help me learn more about myself like meditating. (I do this at home but am yet to try with a class!) Just keep trying even if the plans don't work out, the point is to be positive and proactive! Sometimes it's good to build yourself up with things you're not comfortable doing and then do something really out of your comfort zone, or you could just be really spontaneous and do the thing that scares you the most, first! I think bein...

Learning

Assalamualaikum, Ive been trying to implement new habits lately specifically islamic ones what I've learnt slowly but surely is to keep going even I fail once, I know eventually I can do it. E.g. I want to wake up for tahajjud it doesn't happen, so i think okay lets try the next day and the next etc. Until one day it happens I think when it comes to our nafs we just have to keep trying because naturally we do get lazy. I've also learnt just because you think dont like something doesn't mean you do, I always thought I'm not a morning person but then I started running in the mornings and I realised I actually love running in the mornings. I also thought I didnt enjoy baking but really I did I just stopped because I thought I wasnt good enough. Sometimes we push things away because we worry about our lack of experience or not being good enough but I feel like that's a wrong way to approach something who cares if you're not good at it you should keep go...