Skip to main content

Runner Books

Running books I have read so far in order of the ones I enjoyed best. Along with my review and rating. Before I present the books, I'd like to advise something. When it comes to reading for a topic, like running or writing, read as much as you want. But don't continue if you absolutely cant, but if you can do so, you will always find you have learnt something new!

Whalley, Boff- Run Wild


Summary
This book was inspiring. It had passion and made me want to rediscover the world and nature!
What I learnt:
How to be inspired by nature when running, weaning myself off listening to music while running. Running doesn't have to be about being fast, its about enjoying it.
Pros:
-Easy to read
- Nice anecdotes
- Philosophical
Cons:
-May not suit people who like running marathons
- As he enjoys running wild, he is bias when it comes to marathons, in that he dislikes it. He did a fair job not completely insulting it but some people may not like that he believes wild running to be above running in a organised fashion.
Rating: 5/5



Heminsley, Alexandra- Running like a Girl


Summary:
I found this book really funny and found myself laughing alot! She had a lot of useful tips and I found it really relatable.


What I learnt:
Using Vaseline in your shoes to soften your feet as well any other friction prone areas, running shoes and sports bras are essential. You can take it slow to begin with, it doesn't have to be super fast at the begin. It's okay to feel awkward and shy about running, you'll gain confidence as you lose weight and take control of your running.

Pros:
-Funny and useful tips
-Her stories for running were admirable

Cons:
-Its aimed at women so not a universal book

Rating: 5/5





Murakami, Haruki- What I talk about When I talk about running


Summary
This was my first running book and it will always be a classic for me. I know a lot of running books mention how they don't particularly like this book, but I think it has depth and I love how running helps him with his writing, it wasn't over the top, it felt like a running diary into his private life, I felt privileged.
What I learnt:
How running is a metaphor for life. How important running is. It made me want to run seriously again. I'll be forever indebted.
Pros:
-Lovely insight into his life and achievements
-I liked hearing his thoughts about life, in fact I could relate to a lot of his thoughts
Cons:
-Its a memoir, so running is a part of the story but it is also about his life too
-Might be too philosophical for some
Rating: 5/5


Rowlands, Mark- Running with the Pack

Summary
I like the philosophy behind the book and the reasons he began running. I think his view of running for the sake of it works well with Whalleys' view.
What I learnt:
How running should be about running. Reverting to our childhood state can make us more happier than we think. Assessing our lives and seeing if we do things because of another reason.

Pros:
-A lot of philosophy
-I liked hearing about his dogs, it was heart-warming

Cons:
-Depends if you like philosphy
-Sometimes I didn't agree with his views and found it to be a bit arrogant
- Because of this point ^ I did stop and start with this book


Rating: 3.8/5






Rogers, Tim- Teach yourself how to run a Marathon


Summary
Very useful and practical tips for marathon running, I feel like this book is enough to prepare you for the beginning of training.
What I learnt:
Importance of refueling and diet. Marathon tips, like spare clothes, drinking an hour before getting there, sipping as you go along(during marathon), arriving early. Sleeping early, eating early before the big day. No new changes on marathon day, you should do these things while training (e.g. new trainers, new sports drinks etc.)
Pros:
-useful
-Written in chapters so you can flick through
Cons:
-Sometimes I felt he was a bit arrogant he kept referring to 'new runners do this, new runners do that', I appreciate that beginners can do too much too soon, but I think he wasn't very tactful in how he said it.
- Did get a boring not as interesting to read

Rating: 3/5




Hewitt, Phil- Keep On Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict

Summary
Details most of his marathons and we get an insight into what drives him. It was interesting as I was very similar to him in a sense. (Before reading run wild I wanted to run many marathons too)
What I learnt:
Tracking your runs will help improve your pace and distance. Speed training is essential if you want to be faster for longer.
Pros:
-I liked the variety of his marathons, spread out across different countries
-Despite the arrogant attitude, I liked his brutal honesty (contradicting I know but Id prefer he write what he thinks rather than hiding it, but perhaps he could've been more tactful)
Cons:
-He was a bit arrogant when it came to anything apart from marathons, 5K why bother? half marathons, here come the big boys. 
- Became repetitive, wasn't very engaging
-It was a bit dull as I got into it, but I wanted to finish it.
Rating: 2.8/5

Field, Ruth- Run Fat Bitch Run

Summary
Initially I thought it'd be a funny book and useful. I think it is a good guide to motivate oneself. Easy to read as well.
What I learnt:
The importance of motivating yourself. Whether its a lyric of a song, or a quote, use a mantra to help yourself when you get down. Assessing your body-image, how happy are you with it?
Pros:
-Good, if you want to exercise but aren't good at sticking to it
- Has chapters so you can go to the section you need
Cons:
-She doesn't believe in warm ups, she advises a good walk, I don't personally agree with that.
-I didn't like the Grit Doctor, or being horrible to yourself, might work with others, but its not for me
-I didn't like the guide, it was a guide, but I would've preferred more of a personal story or something with tips, maybe its a preference.

Rating: 2/5



Mcdougall, Christopher- Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen


Summary
This book was interesting, I don't know how much of it is actually true as there have been a lot of discussion about it. I liked the story format of the book.

What I learnt:
That its a natural and easy exercise to take up (running that is). Biologically, we all can run and we should (just not too much and preferably not on pavements)

Pros:
-Began in a nice story-mode
-Enjoyed his search for finding out more about running

Cons:
- I didn't finish the book because it didn't have enough of his own running experiences, I only read about 100 or so pages and I found it to be tortuous to continue
-I didn't want to know that much about the tribe (with no offence) I couldn't find it relatable at all.

Rating: 1/5


And that's it, so far anyway! I actually have two more running books on my shelf right now, that I plan on reading soon. I will be posting a writing review guide soon too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most important daily habit

 Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,  After a very long time I came across my blog once again and I decided I wanted to write something that I hope will benefit you inshaAllah.   I have found memorizing quran to be something I consistently struggle with mainly keeping a habit of it. Here are some tips I have found that helped me to make progress in my memorisation.   1. Think about the importance of the Quran, we know as muslims it is divine guidance so why would we not want to read and memorise it? The more we memorise the more we can use in our salah which should also help with our khushoo too inshaAllah.  This particularly helps if you are falling short of doing it daily, I know I have slacked and completely stopped memorizing for a while but when I really think about how important it is I make it a priority to do it.  2. Set a daily timer for it, build up to 30mins maybe start with 10mins the point is to be consistent as we know the consistent actions are the most beloved

Delay

Apologies for delay in posting, been having a struggle within myself. Will post an article soon or something else, please forgive me. 

Running to the Docks

So last week I went to the royal docks- well that's pretty ordinary, no idea why you decided to mention it as a post Well guys, I ran there. I knew the course roughly via barking road until you need to turn towards Newham University Hospital, from there its straight until you get to Prince Regent DLR and then a right and about 10minutes will you get you to Royal Victoria DLR. It's a simple route, but I did get lost at the T-junction towards Custom House or Eastham, luckily I had my phone on hand to guide me.  The route was easy enough, I have ran to Plaistow a couple of times, so that was familiar, from then, it was touch and go. However with such a long route you do need pitstops. My pitstop was Newham University Hospital, they have a toilet and a prayer room, what more could you ask for? Plus it was Sunday, so it was practically empty!But other pitstops could be Westfield, from Plaistow you just follow it round, but that would be a detour from the route so I found